Nipissing University's iLEAD program is proud to have the opportunity to send a team of 11 advanced business students and faculty members for the 5th consecutive year on a special international project to Jamaica. The The trip departs on Sunday, February 14 and returns on Sunday, February 21, 2016. This year, they will be offering consulting work to an Eco-tourism resort called Fern Forest Eco-Village. For more information on iLEAD program, please visit our website.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Goodbye Jamaica!

Our last day in paradise was a roller coaster of emotions for many. Although the majority of the students would have preferred to stay and enjoy the sunshine a little longer, we were all excited to get back home to our family, and friends. Some of us wanted to stay so badly they “misplaced” their passport. After an extensive search of the room and bags, it was found at the bottom of a suitcase just 15 minutes before the shuttle bus arrived at the hotel to bring us to the airport. Natalya and Linda stayed very calm throughout the whole ordeal and, within minutes of learning of the missing passport, had made plans with the embassy and Natalya’s family to insure the students would have safe ride to Kingston where the embassy was located. This was a learning experience for all the students; always make sure you know where your passport is throughout the duration of your stay.

After boarding the bus to the airport we only had to make one stop at a different resort to pick up four other travellers. With the scenic view of the ocean on the right, and old rundown houses/shacks on the left, our drive was both interesting and humbling. When we got to the airport we were all very hungry and excited for fast food that tasted more like home. Natalya informed us that there was a Wendy’s, Quiznos, and another Juici Patties in the airport, which many loved earlier in the week. After making short work of the delicious food, we boarded the flight and departed on time, which was nice considering the flight was delayed for nearly two hours on the way to Jamaica.

Finally, we arrived at the Toronto airport around 8pm, and after an hour in the airport, began our drive back to North Bay. Our trip may have come to an end but the experiences we had will stay with us for years to come.

Courtney McColeman

No comments:

Post a Comment